Here is a link to a newpaper article about it...my personal review, will soon follow!
Saturday, January 14, 2012
- 1/2 Onion, Diced
- 1 stick
- ⅓ cups Flour
- 3 cups 1% Milk
- 2 cups concentrated chicken broth (2 cups water/4 chicken bullion cubes- for extra flavor)
- 2 cups Half-and-half
- 3 large heads Broccoli Cut Into Florets
- 1 pinch Nutmeg (I added a generous pinch - love the nutmeg :) )
- 3 cups Grated Cheese (mild cheddar, monterary jack, American, pepper jack.)
- Small Dash Of Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, then add the onions. Cook the onions for 3 to 4 minutes, then sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute or so, then pour in milk, chicken broth and half-and-half. Add nutmeg, then add broccoli, a small dash of salt, and plenty of black pepper.
Cover and reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in cheese and allow to melt.
Taste seasonings and adjust if needed. Then either serve as is, or mash it with a potato masher to break up the broccoli a bit, or transfer to a blender in two batches and puree completely. (If you puree it in a blender, return it to the heat and allow to heat up. Splash in more chicken broth if needed for thinning.)
1. A really good and delicious artisan bread or some good bread to mop up the goodness.
2. You can garnish this soup with bacon bits. Bacon makes everything taste good!