|a perfect winter surprise: Chipotle Black Bean Chili|
1. Bacon - cut it up into small pieces.
2. Onion - diced.
3. Red, Yellow and Orange peppers - seeded and diced.
4. Garlic - 2 cloves or according to taste.
5. Spices - 2 tbsp. of chili powder; 1.5 tbsp. of chipotle chili powder; 2 tbsp. of cummin, a dash of cayenne, and tsp. of dried oregano, and a pinch of paprika, salt and pepper and two or three bay leaves. (You can always adjust the spices according to taste).
6. 1 lb. of ground beef (your choice, I like the 85% for the fat and flavor, but it's purely subjective).
7. 1 lb. of ground pork (or ground turkey) - adds body to the chili but not the fat. - I personally like ground pork better than ground turkey, but either way works.
8. 2 cups of beef broth.
9. 2 medium cans of black beans - drained. - btw, I just really like black beans, by all means if you like Red Kidney beans or a combination or whatever other beans there are, help yourself, it's your chili.
10. 1 large can of crushed tomatoes.
11. 1 large can of diced tomatoes.
First, turn the heat on medium/low and place the bacon pieces in first to render the fat out of them and get them crispy for texture. The bacon fat will be useful for flavor and for cooking the onions and peppers. No oil necessary as it will come from the bacon and beef. Stir in the diced onion, garlic, & peppers. Sweat them out. Add the spices (no. 5) to flavor the onions and peppers. Then, add the meat and stir and cook the meat through. Add the 2 cups of beef stock to add flavor and moisture to the mix. Add the drained black beans, which then you will need to "fold" the beans into the pot so you don't bruise and beat up the beans. Add the cans of crushed and diced tomatoes. Allow all these flavors and spices to marry (just let it simmer, low and slow).
1. A bowl with rice at the bottom of the bowl.
2. Sour cream on top.
3. Grated cheese or onions for garnish.
4. A good Italian or French bread in the oven for soaking up all that chili goodness. (Corn bread, too).
5. Next day: Chili dogs!