|The perfect canvass for a vegetable catch all, classic Frittata!|
1. Garlic - 3 or 4 cloves (smashed, peeled, and diced). - You may add a shallot for sweetness, if you wish. Garlic and shallots go wonderful together, here.
2. 2 Tbs. of Extra Virgin Olive oil.
3. Fresh spinach - about 1 & 1/2 cups or 2 - They wilt down nicely. (you can eye ball this).
4. 5 or 6 eggs (serves 4 people) - as usual, increase ingredients to increase servings. - I know, you are thinking, "well, duh" - but I want to sympathize with that stupid automated voice that pops up when you call the doctors. You know, the one that says: "If this is an emergency, then hang up and dial 911." Duh!
5. A splash of half and half (or heavy cream - if you like it creamier) - I prefer cooking with half and half better. It reacts to heat better than cream. But purely subjective here. You can use milk if you have neither. You can even use a little bit of water (2/3 tbs.) if you must - this would thin out the eggs a bit.
6. 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
7. 1/2 cup of grated cheese (whatever you may have).
8. A pinch of fresh ground black pepper.
9. A half a pinch of nutmeg and salt - :-)
10. A whole tomato (sliced, pour Olive oil on it and salt and pepper it - then place it on a cookie sheet, under the broiler for about three to four minutes to get it roasted).
Heat up your skillet to med./low setting. Pour 2 tbs. of EvOO in it, followed by the garlic and shallot. Sweat the garlic and shallots out a bit before adding your fresh spinach. Cover your skillet with a lid to allow the spinach the heat and moisture it needs to start wilting. Lower your heat to low. Meanwhile, mix up ingredients 4 to 9 in a large bowl and stir as to scramble the eggs. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Bump up the heat to medium/low, and cover it again for about 4-5 min. Meanwhile do what is written in #10. Keep the broiler on (all you will do is finish the Frittata off in the broiler anyway). Sprinkle some extra Parmesan and grated cheese onto the surface of your frittata. Add the roasted tomato on the top and stick the entire skillet under the broiler for about 4-6 min. (constantly check to make sure you don't over cook your Frittata).
1. A fruit
2. A breakfast meat: sausage or bacon
3. Buttered toast bread